Totally shocking right? A plastic surgeons wife who (gasp) is thrifty. Well it comes out in certain areas of our lives…in others I have no issues paying for quality and convenience. This is the first blog of a series about thriftiness. It’s something people value but seem to rarely talk about. I on the other hand am never afraid to say I bought something at consignment or scored it at a Goodwill years ago. Trust me I’m a big believer in supporting retail businesses and investing in quality pieces. But I’m very thrifty as well, particularly in three specific areas of our lives…more on that later.…
Christmas is one week away and all the gifts are under the tree at our house! So I’m bringing you another (almost) useless gift guide…unless you happen to be attending a White Elephant Gift exchange and then this is exactly what you need right now! All these gifts are things you should either have in your home or are less then $5. If you are attending a party where you must spend closer to $20 then just get multiples of these items (plus some of these are hilarious in multiples). And you shouldn’t have to search hard in stores to find them. Maybe I’m cheap but I hate buying gifts for parties like this. I buy nice hostess gifts but not for events like this where half the crap is re-gifted or thrown away.
There are millions of gift guides out there if you are looking for holiday gift ideas. I’m not going to give you one. Instead I’m giving you a list of ‘Impossibles’. Some are beyond the norm, some don’t exist, some are beyond most budgets, and some just might be a ‘maybe some day, not not today’. But a girl can dream right….
- Unlimited mobile car detail service. I would love to be able to get my car cleaned and detailed anytime, anywhere and as much as I want. I spend a lot of time driving, running errands, basically living out of our family car. So it’s the messy Mom car you can imagine. But to not have crumbs or empty water bottles or kids toys or the missing sock or the junk mail from the office that I haven’t tossed yet. Well, this would be an amazing luxury. I’d probably call them daily if I had this service. They would hate me.
- Fluff-n-Fold fairies. What if fairies were real. And instead of just flying around and spreading fairy dust they did things for you. Like things you really need. Laundry is my least favorite household chore. In fact we are daily faced with laundry challenges ‘Mom I’m out of pajamas’, ‘honey this is my last pair of clean scrubs’, ‘where is my favorite sweater?’ But if I had fluff-n-fold fairies that just got it washed, folded and put away I’d be so at peace with the world (of laundry at least).
- Self-filing file cabinet. Two years ago I asked for a letter opener because I get ALOT of mail. But what I really need is a file cabinet that will file it all for me. Ahhh. Dreams. I’ve considering investing in one of those smart document scanners so I could rid myself of paper forever. But I feel like with the amount of paper I go through from bills to invoices to packing slips to financials I’d be scanning away 40 hours of my life weekly. I’d prefer to do my thing with paper then just put it in a secret drawer and the secret drawer does its magic and files it away.
- A roomba that also puts away shoes. Two kids+dog+two cats+husband. The floors always feel littered with shoes and dirt and hair. I need a good vacuum that also puts away at least the shoes. They could market it as the Shoomba. It’s genius actually.
- A cashmere bathrobe. But it needs to be machine washable and won’t shrink or pill. I know. Doesn’t exist, yet. But when it does, I’ll be the first in line to buy that thing and I’m going to live in it for a month before taking it off.
- A week away without kids. Maybe even without my husband. One whole week with just sleep, spa, wine, shopping and NO calls or texts or emails. Also I’d want to magically come back and not have 3,000 things on the to do list, 90 phone messages and countless emails. I’d just return to a clean house and clear desk.
- Paul Schneider Ceramics. I’d take anything from his collection, they are just SO beautiful and simple! I’d invest in his pieces for our future home someday, but not now. Not when I still have small kids who sometimes throw objects in the house.
- And finally…this could also be possible some day but not right now. Actually this is in the way distant future but again, a girl can dream…. Ballon Bleu de Cartier watch with 18K pink gold and steel and diamonds. This is just such a beauty, I’m breathless every time I see it.